What BT Redcare Closure Means For Insurance
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

BT Redcare closure: What it could mean for your insurance

BT has decided to close BT Redcare on the 1st of August 2025, a decision that could have significant insurance implications for around 100,000 UK buildings insurance policyholders. The decision by the UK’s largest remote monitoring provider will mean thousands of people must find an alternative solution to ensure their property insurance isn’t invalidated.

What is BT Redcare?

BT Redcare is an alarm solution that runs on a standard analogue BT phone line. It works by sending an alert to the property owner and/or the police if an alarm is triggered. BT has become a trusted provider of alarm signalling services, offering a reliable monitoring facility for both commercial and residential properties.

Many insurers and insurance brokers have recommended BT Redcare to their clients as its signalling solutions comply with British and European Standards for fire alarm signalling up to grade 4, the highest level of protection.

How BT Redcare impacts insurance

A lot of property insurance policies, particularly those covering commercial properties, require the installation of an approved alarm system as a condition for coverage. BT Redcare is one of the most widely used in the UK so its withdrawal could leave thousands of policyholders with invalidated cover.

What do I need to do?

If you are a BT Redcare user, you need to find an alternative supplier. BT has been the dominant force in this market and while there are other providers, these are relatively small and are likely to see a flood of enquiries as the deadline approaches. Our advice would be to:

• Act now – while the change is over a year away, many in the industry are concerned about the availability of hardware and the ability of suppliers to deal with demand.

• Check your requirements – it’s important to get a like-for-like replacement system. If you have any doubts about what you need, contact your insurance broker and they’ll be able to tell you what your policy says you need. These can vary from insurer to insurer.

• Check your new supplier’s credentials – standard alarm signalling services must be installed by firms that are regulated by the National Security Inspectorate (NSI) or the Security Systems and Alarm Inspection Board (SSAIB). They must also be annually maintained to standards set out by the NSI or the SSAIB. You may need to show evidence of this maintenance agreement in the event of a claim.

Related Articles