Design & Construction Insurance
Looking for Design and Construction Insurance?
Need a design and construction insurance quote? Let the specialists at Jensten Insurance Brokers compare our markets to find you the protection you need. Our team of insurance specialists can help you with design and build professional indemnity insurance. We can offer you protection against risks such as breach of duty, collateral warranties, and loss of documents. To get your design and construction insurance quote, call 01903 444 951 or start your design insurance quote today.
What is Design and Construction Insurance?
Design and construction insurance, also known as design and construct professional indemnity insurance, is taken out by building contractors who undertake the design. It protects the contractor against claims over design issues and can cover both in-house and sub-contracted designs.
For example, suppose a building contractor’s client decides to sue over a design-related problem. In that case, the costs can be high – even if the contractor redirects the issue to the sub-contractor who undertook the design. Design and construction PI insurance can protect you financially in the event of a problem.
What Does Design and Construction Insurance Cover?
Design liability insurance through Jensten Insurance Brokers is a flexible policy that’s tailored to your needs. At its core, it covers things like negligence and breach of duty, and a typical policy will cover you against:
- Breach of professional duty
- Negligence, error, or act of omission
- Dishonesty by employees
- Loss of or damage to documents
- Libel or slander
- Defence costs – no excess applicable
- Costs and expenses are taken to mitigate losses
- Compensation for court attendance
- Aggregate limit of indemnity
- Rectification cover – costs incurred in remediation work or mitigating a loss or potential loss that may otherwise result in a claim
- Consultants Cover – claims resulting from any wrongful act committed by one of your consultants, designers, or subcontractors
- Asbestos cover
- Fitness for purpose cover – over claims arising out of any fitness for purpose warranty with respect to the design and/or specification of any works
- Consequential losses – covers indirect losses which accompany an insured loss, for example, loss of earnings to a third party following a claims
- Health and safety legislation cover – should proceedings be brought against you under Health & Safety legislation
- Pollution cover – claims arising out of the actual, alleged or threatened, sudden or accidental presence, discharge, dispersal, release, migration or escape of pollutants other than asbestos, nuclear or radioactive material of any sort.
- Innocent non-disclosure – insurers will not exercise rights to avoid the insurance cover for innocent non-disclosure or innocent misrepresentation.
- Infringement of copyright or intellectual property rights
- Breach of confidentiality
Who Needs Design Construction Insurance?
The sorts of businesses and individuals who take out design and construction insurance professional indemnity insurance are:
- Building contractors who have an in-house design team
- Building contractors who sub-contract the design element
- Property developers who undertake the design element
- Property designers and property design firms who accept design contracts from contractors
If you are unsure if design and construction insurance is right for you, then please contact Jensten Insurance Brokers on 01903 444 951. They’ll be happy to discuss your needs and tailor a design and construction insurance quote to your needs.
Why Do You Need Design And Construction Insurance?
There are several reasons why property designers need to consider getting design and construct professional indemnity insurance; these include:
- In case a client sues you over the quality of your work
- In case someone claims your design has plagiarised/copied their idea
- Because even redirecting a client’s claim to a subcontractor takes time and money to resolve
How Much Does Design And Construction Insurance Cost?
At Jensten Insurance Brokers, we create a package of cover that is specific to your needs. We create our design and construction insurance around our client’s business, making it hard to give an average premium. What we can say is that the cost of your design and construction insurance quote will be based on factors such as:
- The type of work you do
- The size of the contracts your undertake
- If you have any employees
- Whether the design element is undertaken in-house or by an external designer/agency
- Your professional indemnity claims history
- How long you have been in business
- Turnover and responsibility split – this is a factor when an underwriter is considering an insurance premium, as this is the one element that all companies can be judged on and shows the level of risk versus income generated
- Whether you undertake overseas contracts – working in countries such as the US and Canada can push up premiums as there’s a greater propensity to sue
Need Help Choosing Design and Construction Insurance?
If you’d like some design and construction insurance help or a design liability insurance quote, contact the Jensten Insurance Brokers team today. Our experienced team can give you all the help you need and can compare our markets to find you the cover you need. To get your design liability insurance quote, call 01903 444 951 or start your design and construction insurance quote today.