Service and Repair Garage Insurance
What is service and repair garage insurance?
Service and repair garage insurance protects traders operating a motor trade business from premises offering vehicle repairs, servicing or MOT tests. It is an essential cover for those that frequently repair and service cars and vans as part of their business.
A motor traders combined policy can cover risks such as:
- Road risks
- Damage, loss, or theft of specialist recovery vehicles
- Premises including stock, machinery, plant fixtures and fittings, own and customers’ vehicles
- Public and employers’ liability, including defective workmanship claims
- Business Interruption
Garage business insurance can protect a wide range of motor trade business types, including:
- MOT providers
- Repair garages
- Dealerships that offer servicing
- Garages and mechanics that offer car modification services
- Classic car restorers
- Exhaust and tyre fitters
What can garage business insurance cover?
While every vehicle repair garage is different, there are some common risks – such as road risks insurance, public liability insurance, and premises insurance – that you’ll want to include. At Jensten Motor Trade, our trader policies are suitable for those operating in the service and repair sector of the motor trade. It allows you to choose from a range of policy elements, including:
- Road risks insurance – so you can drive customers’ vehicles and any you own in connection with your business and social domestic and pleasure on public roads. As with car insurance, you can choose from third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover
- Public liability insurance – if a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages
- Employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects motor traders from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard
- Business premises cover – if you’re trading from premises, you’ll want to have them protected. If your premises were damaged or destroyed, business premises insurance would cover the cost of repairs or a rebuild
- Tools and machinery cover – without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK*, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options
- Sales and service indemnity – protects you against claims of damage or injury after selling or repairing a vehicle. It can include cover for faulty parts or repair work that’s contributed to the problem
- Money and keys – if money or keys are stolen from your premises, this is designed to cover the cost of their replacement. Most policies will stipulate that money needs to be left in a safe, locked cashbox, or a cabinet
- Business interruption insurance – should disaster strike – a fire, a flood, or an explosion – and you can’t trade, business interruption insurance will provide an income until you can get to your previous trading level
- Engineering inspection service – if, as part of your trading, you use testing equipment or machinery, an engineering inspection service element to your policy will cover the cost of a safety assessment of it. Having your equipment assessed is a legal requirement as it’s part of 1998’s Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) and Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER). It can help satisfy your health and safety at work requirements, and it also means you’re less likely to have downtime owing to essential equipment such as vehicle lifting tables, jacks, and pressure systems failing
- Business contents – including your stock in trade, computers, phones, and other business equipment
- Products liability insurance – should a product you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can be liable for compensation
- Loss of MOT of licence cover – if you offer MOTs, this is a vital cover to protect your business in the event that your license is lost
* Data collected from a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the England, Wales and Northern Ireland Police forces.
Which motor trade businesses can service and repair garage insurance cover?
Service and repair garage insurance through Jensten Motor Trade is a flexible policy that can protect new and used cars traders, including:
- Garages offering repairs and services
- Garages offer MOT tests
- Dealerships offering repairs and services
- New and used car dealers offering vehicle service and repairs
- Bodyshops offering vehicle service and repairs
- Recovery Operators offering vehicle service and repairs
Why get service and repair garage insurance through Jensten Motor Trade?
As well as flexible, quality cover, repair garage insurance through Jensten Motor Trade offers you the following benefits:
- Dedicated in-house claims service
- Service from quote to claim
- Discounts available for claims free driving
- Automatic cover for your own vehicle
- Legal liability insurance
- Road risk-only options
- The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third party only cover
‘Polite professional advice and service, quick and easy cover, completely hassle-free and renewed my cover very quickly at a very competitive rate – the overall experience was totally refreshing’
Mr. E. March 2023
How much does service and repair garage insurance cost?
As we’ll create your cover around your business, that’s not an easy question to answer. What we can say is that your service and repair garage insurance quote will be based on factors such as:
- The type of business you’re running
- The size and value of your premises
- The value of your equipment
- Whether you need road risk cover and how many people you need it for
- The turnover of your business
- Your claims history
- Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper
- Your business’s postcode
Service and repair garage insurance FAQs
It’s important to get the right insurance for your business, and to help you do that, here is our service repair garage insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help.
Elements are compulsory. If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy. You’ll also need employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) if you employ staff within your business and engineering inspection service if you service or repair vehicles
Yes, but only in connection with the business if it is owned by the business or is in custody or control of your motor trade business. It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down
While these policies may look the same, road risks only covers driving vehicles on the road. Traders combined insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities amongst others.
That will depend on things like the size of your business, your claims history, your postcode, the if you offer MOTs and the value of your premises. For a personalised service and repair garage insurance quote, please call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help
There are several ways of cutting motor trade insurance costs, including:
- Limit the number of employees on your road risks policy
- Building up your no-claims bonus
- Employing drivers with low or no motoring convictions or claims
- Making sure your premises (if you have any) are secure and have CCTV/a web-based security system
- Always use an independent broker such as Jensent Motor Trade. A specialist independent motor trade insurance broker will have the knowledge to ensure you get the repair garage insurance quote you need and can do the shopping around for you
At Jensten Motor Trade, we are more than happy to discuss the different ways we can help you save on your motor trade premium. All it takes is a call to our specialist motor trade insurance team to start the quote process. Alternatively, you are welcome to complete our online quote form, and we call you to discuss your requirements
Getting a quote is easy. You can call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need. We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual needs.
Speak to Jensten Motor Trade about service and repair garage insurance today
If you’d like some assistance with your garage insurance or a service and repair garage insurance quote, contact the Jensten Motor Trade team by calling 0208 298 2100.