Motor Trade Insurance | Jensten Insurance Brokers
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Motor Trade Insurance

Protect your business with Motor Trade Insurance arranged through Jensten Insurance Brokers. Let our independent specialists find you the cover you need.

What is Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor Trade Insurance, or Trade Car Insurance as it’s also known, is a specialist insurance cover that protects people who buy and sell vehicles for a living.  It can insure part-time and full-time traders and cover a wide range of occupations, including: 

  • People buying and selling cars, vans, and other vehicles
  • People running vehicle breakdown and recovery services
  • Garages and mechanics
  • Car transporting businesses
  • Valeters

Motor Trade Insurance by business type

Why buy Motor Trade Insurance through Jensten Insurance Brokers?


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Insurance Brokers is rated 4.6/5 on Feefo


Cover that’s tailored to your business

Talk to the experts

Our friendly team are here to help, 9am-5pm, Monday to Friday.


Contact us, and we’ll call you at a time that suits you


call 0208 298 2100 and let us find you the cover you need


Get the answers to frequently asked trade insurance questions

What our clients say...

Highly recommended, service is always excellent.

Easy to arrange. Friendly and competent staff. Good value.

Super efficient. Highly recommend.

The best rate combined with responsive service. Very good.

Rated 4.7/5 based on 781 reviews on

Need a Motor Trade Insurance quote?

Find out what covers businesses like yours

Motor Trade Insurance

Motor Trade Insurance can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are our Motor Trade Insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0208 298 2100 and the team will be happy to help.

Motor Trade Insurance is a specialist form of insurance that protects businesses that are involved in buying and selling, repairing, restoring, or moving vehicles. While it’s not a legal requirement unless you want to drive vehicles on the road – in which case you will need Road Risk Insurance – or have employees for whom you will need Employers’ Liability Insurance, Motor Trade Insurance covers a lot of the risks traders face daily.

Elements are compulsory. If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy. You’ll also need Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL Insurance) if you employ staff within your business, and you may need engineering inspection service if you service or repair vehicles using lifting tables or pressurised gas.

No, only ones in connection with the business – so ones that are owned by the business or are in the custody or control of your motor trade business. There may well also be exemptions for high-performance or high-value vehicles.

Motor Trade Insurance through Jensten Insurance Brokers can cover traders working from home or from premises, those working full-time or part-time, car dealers, body shops, repair garages, exhaust and tyre fitters, classic car restorers, and MOT testing stations, to name but a few.

Within reason, you can add as many as you like or have an any driver policy that will allow anyone connected with the business to drive vehicles that are owned or connected with the business. Adding more drivers – especially young ones or those with convictions – can push premiums up.

While these policies may look the same, Road Risks only covers vehicles which are on the road. Trader’s Combined Insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover, vehicle stock and liabilities, amongst others.

That will depend on things like the size of your business, your claims history, the type of vehicles you are dealing with, the services you offer, if you have any employees, and whether you have premises. For a personalised Motor Trade Insurance quote, please call us on 0208 298 2100 and the team will be happy to help.

There are many ways you can potentially get cheaper Motor Trade Insurance quotes.

No, this is only for people who work in the motor trade, be that full-time or part-time.
That will depend on the insurer; some will be happy with one or two a month. The important thing is that you can prove that you are buying and selling vehicles or that you work with vehicles professionally, be that repairing, valeting, transporting, or restoring them.

People aged under 25 are perceived to be riskier by insurers. At Jensten Insurance Brokers, we have access to a range of insurers and providers and can do the shopping around for you and we’ll be happy to try and reduce the cost of cover. If you’d like to see if we can get you a cheaper Motor Trade Insurance quote, please call us on 0208 298 2100 and the team will be happy to help.

Getting a quote is easy. You can call us on 0208 298 2100 and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need. We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual requirements.