SMART Repairer Insurance
What is SMART repairer insurance?
SMART repairer insurance, also known as cosmetic repairer insurance, is a specialist form of motor trade cover for businesses that offer small and medium-area repair technique repairs. A flexible policy, SMART repairer insurance through Jensten Motor Trade can cover risks such as:
- Road risks
- Machinery and plant
- Portable hand tools
- Personal accident and injury
- Public and employers’ liability
- Servicing indemnity
- Goods in transit insurance
What can SMART repairer insurance cover?
While every SMART repairer’s insurance needs will be different, there are some common risks – such as road risks insurance, public liability insurance, business interruption and tools insurance – that you’ll want to include. Jensten Motor Trade’s policies allow you to pick and choose from a range of policy elements, including:
- Road risks insurance – so you can drive customers’ vehicles and any you own in connection with your business and social domestic and pleasure on public roads. As with car insurance, you can choose from third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover
- Public liability insurance – if a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages
- Employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects motor traders from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard
- Business premises cover – if you’re trading from premises – be it a forecourt, yard or compound – you’ll want to have them protected. If your premises were damaged or destroyed, business premises insurance would cover the cost of repairs or a rebuilt
- Customers’ vehicles – if you work from premises, there may be occasions when customers’ vehicles need to be kept overnight. A SMART repairer insurance policy will ensure you and the customer are protected should the car be stolen while it’s in your custody, care and control
- Stock cover – protects your stock, parts, equipment, and machinery against risks of damage, theft, and loss
- Tools and machinery cover – without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK*, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options
- Trade plate insurance – having trade plate cover means you don’t have to register and tax your stock of vehicles while as they will only be in your possession temporarily. Trade plate insurance is a legal requirement if you want to drive vehicles on the road on trade plates
- Money and keys – if money or keys are stolen from your premises, this is designed to cover the cost of their replacement. Most policies will stipulate that money needs to be left in a safe, locked cashbox, or a cabinet
- Business interruption insurance – should disaster strike – a fire, a flood, or an explosion – and you can’t trade, business interruption insurance will provide an income until you can get to your previous trading level
- Engineering inspection service – if, as part of your trading, you use testing equipment or machinery, an engineering inspection service element to your policy will cover the cost of a safety assessment of it. Having your equipment assessed is a legal requirement as it’s part of 1998’s Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations (LOLER) and Provision and Use of Work Equipment Regulations 1998 (PUWER). It can help satisfy your health and safety at work requirements, and it also means you’re less likely to have downtime owing to essential equipment such as vehicle lifting tables, jacks, and pressure systems failing
- Business contents – including your stock in trade, computers, phones, and other business equipment
- Products liability insurance – should a product you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can be liable for compensation should action be brought against you
- Sales and service indemnity – protects you against claims of damage or injury after selling or repairing a vehicle. It can include cover for faulty parts or repair work that’s contributed to the problem
* Data collected from a Freedom of Information (FOI) request to the England, Wales and Northern Ireland Police forces.
Which motor trade businesses can SMART repairer insurance cover?
SMART repairer insurance through Jensten Motor Trade is a flexible policy that can protect businesses such as:
- SMART repairers working from premises
- Mobile SMART repairers
- Motor traders who offer SMART repairs as part of their wider business
Why get SMART repairer insurance through Jensten Motor Trade?
As well as flexible, quality cover, car dealer insurance through Jensten Motor Trade offers you the following benefits:
- Dedicated in-house claims service
- Service from quote to claim
- Discounts available for claims free driving
- Automatic cover for your own vehicle
- Legal liability insurance
- Road risk-only options
- The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third party only cover
‘Polite professional advice and service, quick and easy cover, completely hassle-free and renewed my cover very quickly at a very competitive rate – the overall experience was totally refreshing’
Mr. E. March 2023
How much does SMART repairer insurance cost?
As we’ll create your cover around your business, that’s not an easy question to answer. What we can say is that your SMART repairer insurance quote will be based on factors such as:
- The type of vehicles you work on – expensive performance cars will likely push up your premium
- The size and value of your premises – if you have any
- If you work as a mobile SMART repairer
- Whether you have any employees
- The value of your equipment
- Whether you need road risk cover and how many people you need it for
- The turnover of your business
- Your claims history
- Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper
- Your business’s postcode
SMART repairer insurance FAQs
It’s important for motor traders to get the right insurance for their business, and to help you do that, here is our SMART repairer insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help.
Elements are compulsory. If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy. You’ll also need employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) if you employ staff within your business and engineering inspection service if you service or repair vehicles
Yes, but only in connection with the business if it is owned by the business or is in custody or control of your motor trade business. It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down
While these policies may look the same, road risks only covers driving vehicles on the road. Traders combined insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities amongst others.
That will depend on things like the size of your business, your claims history, the type of vehicles you are repairing, and whether you have premises and where they are. For a personalised SMART repairer insurance quote, please call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help
There are several ways of cutting your motor trade insurance costs, including:
- Limit the number of employees on your road risks policy
- Building up your no-claims bonus
- Employing drivers with low or no motoring convictions or claims
- Making sure your premises (if you have any) are secure and have CCTV/a web-based security system
- Always use an independent broker such as Jensent Motor Trade. A specialist independent motor trade insurance broker will have the knowledge to ensure you get the SMART repairer insurance quote you need and can do the shopping around for you
At Jensten Motor Trade, we are more than happy to discuss the different ways we can help you save on your motor trade premium. All it takes is a call to our specialist motor trade insurance team to start the quote process. Alternatively, you are welcome to complete our online quote form, and we call you to discuss your requirements
Getting a quote is easy. You can call us on 0208 298 2100, and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need. We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual needs.
Speak to Jensten Motor Trade about SMART repairer insurance today
If you’d like some assistance with your SMART repairer insurance or a SMART repairer insurance quote, contact the Jensten Motor Trade team by calling 0208 298 2100.