Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance | Motor Trade Cover
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance

Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance can cover many risks that businesses may face. Jensten Insurance Brokers can advise on and arrange cover to help mitigate those risks.

What is Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance?

Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance – or Motor Trade Liability Insurance – protects traders should a member of the public be injured or their property damaged while on their premises.  Claims for damages can be costly, so having public liability insurance in place is regarded as a wise move. 

Most traders take out Public Liability Insurance as part of a Motor Trade Combined policy or in conjunction with other covers such as Road Risks Insurance.  At Jensten Insurance Brokers, we can offer you Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance as a standalone policy.  If you would like to know more, please call our friendly team on 0161 516 3352. 

Need Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance?

For comprehensive Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance

What does Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance cover?

A simpler form of motor trade insurance, Motor Trade Liability Insurance offers Traders Public Liability protection only.  A typical policy offers: 

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance protects you if a member of the public suffers an injury or if any of their property is damaged because of your business. It can cover legal costs and any compensation claims, if your business is found to be at fault.

Varying Cover Levels

Cover levels of £1m, £2m, £5m, or £10m.

Why use Jensten


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Motor Trade is rated 4.7/5 on Feefo


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Which businesses can Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance cover?

If you’re in the motor trade and have members of the public visiting your premises or your home, then Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance makes a lot of sense.  Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance through Jensten Insurance Brokers is suitable for businesses such as: 

  • Car dealers – both full-time and part-time 
  • Traders working from home or from premises 
  • Service and repair garages 
  • Tyre fitters  
  • Valeter’s and detailers  
  • Motor traders under the age of 25 
  • Classic car restorers  
  • Body shops 
  • SMART repairers 
  • MOT service stations 

How much does Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance cost?

As we’ll build your cover around you, that’s not an easy question to answer.  What we can say is that your Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance quote will be based on factors such as: 

  • The amount of cover required 
  • The level of excess you choose to pay on the policy 
  • Your trade 
  • The postcode(s) in which you’re working 
  • How long you’ve been trading 
  • Your claims history 
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper 

For tailored help, please contact Jensten Insurance Brokers today or call us on 0161 516 3352. 

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance?

For comprehensive Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance

Motor Trade Public Liability Insurance

It’s important for motor traders to get the right insurance.  To help you do that, here are our Motor Trade Liability Public Insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they are useful, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0161 516 3352, and our specialist Motor Trade Insurance team will be happy to help.

As well as flexible, quality cover, auto electrician insurance through Jensten Motor Trade offers you the following benefits:

  • Service from quote to claim 
  • You get to deal with a dedicated motor trade team that understands your insurance needs 
  • A wide range of policy options 
  • Flexible payment terms 

No, but given the level of protection it provides, you’d be wise to take it out.

No, this policy only covers your liabilitiesTo drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risk element added to your policy.

Getting a quote is easy.  You can start your quote here, or call us on 0161 516 3352, and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need.  We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help you find the appropriate cover to suit your needs. 

As we’ve said, there’s no legal requirement to have cover in place, but even if you are trading part-time, you’d be wise to have a policy in place. 

There are several ways you can cut the cost of your Motor Trade Insurance quotes, including: 

  • Build up your no-claims bonus
  • Pay annually – paying monthly may be convenient, but paying annually will be cheaper
  • Raise your excess – the amount you pay in the event of a claim.  If you have a good, low claims record this can be a good option
  • Shop around – or better still, ask an independent insurance broker such as Jensten Insurance Brokers to do the shopping around for you.  With access to leading insurers’ policies and specialist knowledge, we’ll be able to save you time getting the cover you need

As a motor trader, you’ll face a range of risks and can benefit from extra protections, including: 

  • Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance) – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, be they full-time, part-time, or contracted.  EL insurance protects you from compensation claims from your employees should a claim be made against you for loss or injury at work.  Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard
  • Motor Legal Expenses – if a customer or a member of the public brings a claim against you, the legal fees could be eye-watering, and motor legal expenses will cover these for you within agreed limits
  • Tools and Machinery Cover – without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate, and things like jack stands, compressors, and powered impact wrenches aren’t cheap to replace.  These are items that are attractive to thieves due to their portability and high value
  • Business Premises Cover – if you’re trading from premises, you’ll want to have them protected.  If your premises were damaged or destroyed, business premises insurance would cover the cost of repairs or a rebuild 
  • Demonstration Cover – for unaccompanied demonstrations such as test drives 
  • Money and Keys – if money or keys are stolen from your premises, this is designed to cover the cost of their replacement.  Most policies will stipulate that money needs to be left in a safe, locked cashbox, or a cabinet

The scope of a motor trade public liability policy is much more restrictive than a comprehensive Motor Trade Insurance policy.  This means it won’t cover the following: 

  • Road Risks – so you won’t be covered to drive your business’s, employees’ or customers’ vehicles on the road 
  • Your stock  
  • Tools 
  • Employers’ Liability – a legal requirement if you have any staff 
  • Premises 
  • Portable hand tools 
  • Business Interruption 

We can add these elements to your Motor Trade Liability Insurance to give your business the protection it needs.  If you’d like to know more or would like a Motor Trade Insurance quote that’s built around your business, call us on 0161 516 3352, and our specialist Motor Trade Insurance team will be happy to help.