Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home | Motor Trade Cover
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home

Working From Home Insurance can cover many risks that businesses may face. Jensten Insurance Brokers can advise on and arrange cover to help mitigate those risks.

What is Motor Trade Working From Home Insurance?

If you’re a motor trader running your business from home, then you need to ensure you have the right Motor Trade Insurance in place.  Whether you’re trading full-time or part-time, buying and selling vehicles, or offering repairs and servicing, motor trade insurance arranged through Jensten Insurance Brokers can offer you a wide range of protections, including:

  • Road risk
  • Vehicles
  • Public and employers’ liability
  • Machinery and testing equipment
  • Portable hand tools
  • Service indemnity

Need Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home?

For comprehensive Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home

What does Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home cover?

Your policy needs will depend on the type of trading you’re doing – buying and selling, service and repair, etc.  At Jensten Insurance Brokers, we tailor our Motor Trade Insurance quotes to the needs of our clients, and when it comes to Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home, we can offer the following:

Demonstration Cover

Is an extension you can add to your motor trade insurance policy that allows prospective customers to test drive vehicles before they buy them. Cover through Jensten Motor Trade can be arranged for both accompanied and unaccompanied test drives.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

Money and keys

If money or keys are stolen from your premises, this is designed to cover the cost of their replacement. Most policies will stipulate that money needs to be left in a safe, locked cashbox, or a cabinet.

Product Liability Insurance

If products you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can face claims for compensation. Product liability insurance will cover any pay-outs should a claim prove successful.

Public liability insurance

If a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages.

Refurbishment and Restoration Cover

Protects the vehicles you own from theft, damage, or fire. This won’t cover you for everything – modifications or camper van conversions, for example, but it will cover things like classic car restoration.

Road Risks Insurance

So you can drive customers’ vehicles and any you own in connection with your business on public roads. As with car insurance, you can choose from third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover.

Service Indemnity Insurance

Also known as defective workmanship cover, protects you against claims for faulty parts or for accidentally fitting parts incorrectly.

Tools and machinery cover

Without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options.

Why use Jensten


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Motor Trade is rated 4.7/5 on Feefo


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

What sort of motor traders working from home can we cover?

Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home through Jensten Insurance Brokers is a flexible policy that can protect a wide range of traders, including:

  • Car sales from home
  • Part-time traders working from home
  • Full-time traders working from home
  • Traders that trade online via eBay, Auto Trader, etc.
  • Hobbyist traders restoring classic cars, etc.
  • Traders doing servicing and repairs from home
  • Valeters working from home
  • Auto electricians working from home

How much does Motor Trade Working From Home Insurance cost?

As we’ll create your cover around you, that’s not an easy question to answer.  What we can say is that your motor trade insurance quote will be based on factors such as:

  • The postcode from which you’re trading
  • How long you’ve been trading
  • The value of your stock
  • The value of your equipment
  • Whether you need road risk cover – and if so, for how many people and their ages.  Drivers under the age of 25 will cost you more to insure
  • The turnover of your business
  • The type of work you’re doing and for whom
  • Your claims history
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper

For tailored help, please contact Jensten Insurance Brokers today or call them on 0161 440 7772.

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home?

For comprehensive Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home

Motor Trade Insurance Working From Home

It’s important for all motor traders to get the right insurance whether you are a trader working from home or business premises.  To help you do that, here is our Motor Trade Working From Home Insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help.

As well as flexible, quality cover, the motor trade insurance policies we can arrange offer you the following benefits:

  • Service from quote to claim
  • Road risk-only options
  • You get to deal with a dedicated motor trade team that understands your insurance needs
  • Cover for social, domestic and pleasure
  • The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third-party only cover

As with all insurance policies, terms and exclusions apply.  Please contact us for more details.

It depends.  If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy.  You’ll also need employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) if you employ staff.

While these policies may look the same, road risks only covers driving vehicles on the road.  Traders combined insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities, amongst others. Here at Jensten Insurance Brokers, we can quote for traders combined and road risks insurance.

It depends. You need to check your policy wording to understand what you are covered to drive. Not all road risk policies are the same. In general, you will be able to drive vehicles owned by your business or vehicles in your custody or control of your motor trade business.  It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down.

Please note: your policy may come with indemnity limits that exclude certain types of vehicles, such as classic or prestige cars or Japanese imports.  If you’re unsure about what’s excluded or would like some help, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and we’ll be happy to give you some help.

No, this is only for people who are involved in buying, selling, moving or repairing vehicles for a living. This can be an area that is widely misunderstood by people outside the motor trade.

Getting a quote is easy.  You can call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need.  We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help you find the appropriate cover to suit your trading-from-home needs.

Yes, you’ll need to present vehicle receipts, sales records, or some other form of proof of trading at the inception of your policy.

There are several ways you can cut the cost of your motor trade from home insurance quote, including:

  • Avoid insuring drivers under the age of 25
  • By building up your no-claims bonus
  • By paying annually rather than monthly – monthly may be convenient, but paying annually will be cheaper
  • Raise your excess – the amount you pay in the event of a claim
  • Shop around – or better still, ask an independent insurance broker such as Jensten Insurance Brokers to do the shopping around for you.  With our privileged access to some leading insurers’ policies and specialist knowledge, we’ll be able to save you time getting the motor trade insurance from home quote that you need
  • Secure your vehicle and tools – and if you have a van and need to park it on the road, add additional security measures such as CCTV, a vehicle tracker, and extra locks. Make sure your tools are secured too, with locks on toolboxes, security lights on your workshop/garage