Recovery Operator Insurance | Breakdown Agent Insurance
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Recovery Operator Insurance

Recovery Operator Insurance can cover many risks that businesses may face. Jensten Insurance Brokers can advise on and arrange cover to help mitigate those risks.

What is Recovery Operator Insurance?

Recovery Operator Insurance – also known as breakdown and recovery operator agent insurance – protects motor trade businesses that recover vehicles from the roadside or repair vehicles following a breakdown or an accident.

A flexible and comprehensive policy, breakdown, transportation and recovery operator insurance through Jensten Motor Trade can cover risks such as:

  • Road risks, including the option for vehicle transportation
  • Damage, loss, or theft of specialist recovery vehicles
  • Own and customers’ vehicles in transit
  • Premises
  • Accident and injury
  • Public and employers’ liability
  • Tools
  • Business interruption
  • Contents of recovered vehicles and commercial vehicle loads

Need Recovery Operator Insurance?

For comprehensive Recovery Operator Insurance

What does Recovery Operator Insurance cover?

While every breakdown and recovery business’ insurance needs will be different, there are some common risks.  These include road risks insurance, public liability insurance, vehicles in transit, and personal possessions cover.  Jensten Motor Trade’s policies allow you to pick and choose from a range of policy elements, including:

Business Contents

Including your stock, computers, phones, and other business equipment.

Business interruption insurance

Should disaster strike – a fire, a flood, or an explosion – and you can’t trade, business interruption insurance will provide an income until you can get to your previous trading level.

Business premises cover

If you’re trading from premises – be it a forecourt, yard or compound – you’ll want to have them protected. If your premises were damaged or destroyed, business premises insurance would cover the cost of repairs or a rebuild.

Carriage of Vehicles

This protects the vehicle(s) you are transporting.

Defective Workmanship Cover

Provides cover for defective workmanship claims.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

Engineering Inspection Service

If you use testing equipment or machinery, an engineering inspection service element to your policy will cover the cost of a safety assessment of it, and can include covering the cost of breakdowns and replacements.

Product Liability Insurance

If products you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can face claims for compensation. Product liability insurance will cover any pay-outs should a claim prove successful.

Public liability insurance

If a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages.

Sales and Service Indemnity

Protects you against claims of damage or injury after selling or repairing a vehicle. It can include cover for faulty parts or repair work that’s contributed to the problem.

Tools and machinery cover

Without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options.

Your Vehicles

Including cover for those stored overnight on your premises.

Why use Jensten


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Motor Trade is rated 4.7/5 on Feefo


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Which motor trade businesses can Recovery Operator Insurance cover?

Breakdown and Recovery Operator Insurance through Jensten Motor Trade is a flexible policy that can protect businesses such as:

  • Breakdown and recovery for cars
  • Breakdown and recovery for commercial vehicles, trucks, vans, and lorries
  • Motor traders who offer breakdown and recovery as part of their business

How much does Recovery Operator Insurance cost?

As we’ll create your cover around your business, that’s not an easy question to answer. What we can say is that your recovery operator insurance quote will be based on factors such as:

  • The value of your recovery vehicles
  • The size and value of your premises – if you have any
  • The value of your equipment
  • Whether you need road risk cover and how many people you need it for
  • The turnover of your business
  • Your claims history
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper
  • Your business’s postcode

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.


For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Recovery Operator Insurance?

For comprehensive Recovery Operator Insurance

Recovery Operator Insurance

It’s important for motor traders to get the right insurance for their business, and to help you do that, here is our recovery operator insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0208 298 2100 and the team will be happy to help.

As well as flexible, quality cover, insurance through Jensten Motor Trade offers you the following benefits:

  • Dedicated in-house claims service
  • Service from quote to claim
  • Discounts available for claims free driving
  • Automatic cover for your own vehicle
  • Legal liability insurance
  • Road risk-only options
  • The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third party only cover

Elements are compulsory. If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy. You’ll also need employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) if you employ staff within your business and engineering inspection service if you service or repair vehicles.

Yes, but only in connection with the business if it is owned by the business or is in custody or control of your motor trade business. It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down.

While these policies may look the same, road risks only covers driving vehicles on the road. Traders combined insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities amongst others.

There are several ways of cutting motor trade insurance costs, including:

  • Limit the number of employees on your road risks policy
  • Building up your no-claims bonus
  • Employing drivers with low or no motoring convictions or claims
  • Making sure your premises (if you have any) are secure and have CCTV/a web-based security system
  • Always use an independent broker such as Jensen Motor Trade.  A specialist independent motor trade insurance broker will have the knowledge to ensure you get the recovery operator insurance you need and can do the shopping around for you

At Jensten Motor Trade, we are more than happy to discuss the different ways we can help you save on your motor trade premium.  All it takes is a call to our specialist motor trade insurance team to start the quote process.  Alternatively, you are welcome to complete our online quote form, and we call you to discuss your requirements.

Getting a quote is easy.  You can call us on 0208 298 2100and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need.  We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual needs.