Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance | Motor Trade Cover
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance

Part-time motor trade insurance offers specialist protection to motor traders who run their businesses as a sideline. Whether you spend your evenings and weekends doing up old cars for sale, buy and sell cars on eBay, or work part-time as a car valeter, then part-time motor trade insurance is for you.

What is Part-time Motor Trade Insurance?

Part-time motor trade insurance offers specialist protection to motor traders who run their businesses as a sideline.  Whether you spend your evenings and weekends doing up old cars for sale, buy and sell cars on eBay, or work part-time as a car valeter, then part-time motor trade insurance is for you.  Cover arranged by Jensten Insurance Brokers offers a wide range of protections, including:

  • Vehicles
  • Road risks
  • Public and employers’ liability
  • Refurbishment and restoration
  • Portable hand tools
  • Service indemnity

Need Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance?

For comprehensive Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance

What does Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance cover?

Your policy needs will depend on the type of trading you’re doing and from where – at home, from premises, or online, for example.  At Jensten Insurance Brokers, we tailor our part-time motor trade insurance quotes to the needs of our clients and can offer the following:

Demonstration Cover

Is an extension you can add to your motor trade insurance policy that allows prospective customers to test drive vehicles before they buy them. Cover through Jensten Motor Trade can be arranged for both accompanied and unaccompanied test drives.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

Product Liability Insurance

If products you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can face claims for compensation. Product liability insurance will cover any pay-outs should a claim prove successful.

Public liability insurance

If a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages.

Refurbishment and Restoration Cover

Protects the vehicles you own from theft, damage, or fire. This won’t cover you for everything – modifications or camper van conversions, for example, but it will cover things like classic car restoration.

Road Risks Insurance

So you can drive customers’ vehicles and any you own in connection with your business on public roads. As with car insurance, you can choose from third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover.

Service Indemnity Insurance

Also known as defective workmanship cover, protects you against claims for faulty parts or for accidentally fitting parts incorrectly.

Tools and machinery cover

Without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options.

Why use Jensten


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Motor Trade is rated 4.7/5 on Feefo


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Who needs Part-time Motor Trade Insurance?

Motor trade insurance through Jensten Insurance Brokers is a flexible policy that can protect a wide range of part-time traders, including:

  • Part-time traders that trade from home
  • Part-time traders that trade from premises
  • Part-time traders that trade online via eBay, Auto Trader, etc.
  • Hobbyist traders restoring classic cars
  • People offering out-of-hours vehicle recovery services part-time
  • People providing detailers and valeters services part-time

How much does Part-time Motor Trade Insurance cost?

As we’ll create your cover around you, that’s not an easy question to answer.  What we can say is that your part-time motor trader insurance quote will be based on factors such as:

  • The postcode from which you’re trading
  • How long you’ve been trading
  • The value of your stock
  • The size and value of your premises – if you have any
  • The value of your equipment
  • Whether you need road risk cover – and if so, for how many people and their ages
  • The turnover of your business
  • Your claims history
  • The sort of vehicles you’re working with – valeters insurance for prestige cars will cost more
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper


For some tailored help, please contact Jensten Insurance Brokers today or call us on 0161 440 7772.

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance?

For comprehensive Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance

Part-Time Motor Trade Insurance

It’s important for all motor traders to get the right insurance.  To help you do that, here are our part-time motor trade insurance frequently asked questions.  We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help.

As well as flexible, quality cover, the motor trade insurance policies we can arrange offer you the following benefits:

  • Service from quote to claim
  • Road risk-only options
  • You get to deal with a dedicated motor trade team that understands your insurance needs
  • Cover for social, domestic and pleasure
  • The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third-party only cover
  • As with all insurance policies, terms and exclusions apply. Please contact us for more details.

It depends.  If you are going to drive vehicles on the road, you will need a road risks element to your policy.  You’ll also need employers’ liability insurance (EL insurance) if you employ staff.

Yes, but only in connection with the business if it is owned by the business or is in custody or control of your motor trade business.  It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down.

Please note: your policy may come with indemnity limits that exclude certain types of vehicles, such as classic or prestige cars or Japanese imports.  If you’re unsure about what’s excluded or would like some help, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and we’ll be happy to give you some help.

While these policies may look the same, road risks only covers driving vehicles on the road.  Traders combined insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities, amongst others.

Yes, if you’re buying and selling vehicles on a part-time basis, this policy will enable you to register the vehicles for the MID and remove them when they are sold.

No, this is only for people who are involved in buying, selling, moving or repairing vehicles for a living. This is often an area of confusion – a motor trade policy cannot be used as a family fleet policy and insurers are wise to this tactic.

Getting a quote is easy.  You can call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need.  We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual needs.  So, whether you’re a part-time car dealer, mechanic, breakdown and recovery operator, or car valeter, we can help.

Yes, you will need to prove you are working in the trade. You’ll need to present vehicle receipts, sales records, or some other form of proof of trading when you incept a motor trade policy.

As a part-time motor trader, it’s likely that you are going to be working on your own.  However, you may wish to consider some areas that can help reduce the cost of your road risks policy.  These could include:

  • Motor traders under the age of 25 may pay more for insurance and can drive premiums up
  • By building up your no-claims bonus and understand if you can utilise a personal no claims discount on your policy. You may find you can transfer this with certain insurers
  • By paying annually rather than monthly – monthly may be convenient and help cashflow, but paying annually will be cheaper
  • Consider increasing your excess or research excess protection cover – this could drive down your premium but increase the amount you pay in the event of a claim
  • Shopping around – or better still, ask an independent insurance broker such as Jensten Insurance Brokers to do the shopping around for you.  With our privileged access to some leading insurers’ policies and specialist knowledge, we’ll be able to save you time getting the part-time motor trade insurance that you need
  • Securing your vehicles and any tools you may have. Adding security measures is a great way to reduce the risk you are exposed to.

We’re happy to discuss how we can help you save on your part-time motor trade insurance quote.  Call our specialist motor trade insurance team on 0161 440 7772 or contact us, and we’ll call you to discuss your requirements.