Crane Insurance | Crane Operators Insurance
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Crane Insurance

Crane Insurance can cover many risks that businesses may face. Jensten Insurance Brokers can advise on and arrange cover to help mitigate those risks.

What is Crane Insurance?

Crane Insurance is a dedicated form of cover designed to meet the needs of businesses that hire, lease, or own cranes and other lifting equipment.  A flexible, comprehensive policy, Crane Insurance can insure your equipment and your operators and cover your Public Liability Insurance needs.

Need Crane Insurance?

For comprehensive Crane Insurance

What does Crane Insurance cover?

Crane and Mobile Crane Insurance can offer a range of protections. The exact makeup will depend on the policy you take out, but generally speaking, the options are:


This covers equipment against fire, theft, malicious damage, and while being transported between jobs and includes theft.

Crane liability

Which covers things like loads accidentally dropping, overhead power cables being brought down, or the crane toppling over owing to rain softening the ground it stands on.

Crane operator’s insurance 

A toppled crane or a dropped load can cause serious injuries to those working on or near a site. Crane operator’s insurance is a form of employers’ liability insurance, which can lessen the financial impact if you face a personal injury claim from a crane operator or another employee.

Equipment floater

This covers it while it’s being transported between jobs and includes theft.

Hired-in plant

Should yours break down and you need to rent one, this will cover the rental costs.

Mini digger insurance

Mini digger insurance covers mini diggers, be they owned or hired-in.

Why use Jensten


A dedicated team to Plant Hire Insurance


We are the trusted broker to Plant Hire businesses


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Does a crane need insurance?

Given the complex environments in which cranes operate – such as construction sites, marinas, and highway maintenance – and the dangerous nature of the work, having adequate insurance protection is vital.

Construction firms and other companies that have a range of plant equipment will often take out Plant Insurance, but if you only have a crane or mobile crane that needs insuring, then Crane Insurance might be a better option for you as it can protect you from:

  • Crane liability and damage to property
  • Injury to employees through Employers’ Liability Insurance
  • Theft
  • Ongoing hire charges
  • Accidental damage
  • Malicious damage
  • Road risks
  • Goods on the hook

How much does Crane Insurance cost?

The cost of your Crane Insurance will depend on factors such as:

  • The number of cranes or mobile cranes you have – if you have two or more, you may want to consider a Fleet Insurance policy.
  • The value of your cranes.
  • The nature of your business and the work you do – whether you’re operating in confined spaces such as inner-city construction sites or on motorway maintenance, you will be faced with a number of potentially challenging risks.
  • Where your equipment is stored at night.
  • Your claims history.

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Crane Insurance?

For comprehensive Crane Insurance

Crane Insurance

This is one of the more complex areas of construction cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are our Crane Insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they will be of help, but if you’d like some independent advice, then please call us on 0115 672 5661, and we’ll be only too happy to help.

Crane Insurance provides a wide range of covers designed to protect businesses using this specialist equipment. Given the cost of cranes, which many are hired in rather than owned, that they often need to have road risk cover, and the Public Liability and Employers’ Liability risks associated with this sort of work, having a Crane Insurance policy makes sense.

No, but if you have employees who use cranes, then you will need Employers’ Liability Insurance.

Hired-in plant is equipment that you hire for a specific job as opposed to equipment that your business owns.

Yes, with an auto liability or road risks element to your policy will cover mobile cranes while driving on public roads.

If a hired-in crane is damaged or stolen, you’ll usually be liable to continue paying the hire charges, even if it is no longer used by you. In most instances, charges are covered for 90 days but it’s always worth checking the policy.

Yes. When you hire machinery, it means that you are responsible for that item, and you need to make sure you send it back in the condition you hired it. If a crane you have hired were to break or be damaged and you didn’t have Hired-in Plant Insurance, you would have to pay for any repairs.