Road Risk Insurance | Motor Trade Insurance
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Road Risk Insurance

Road Risk Insurance is essential for motor traders. Motor Trade Road Risk Insurance allows traders to drive vehicles in connection with their business on the road.

What is Road Risk Insurance?

Road Risk Insurance is essential for motor traders. Motor Trade Road Risk Insurance allows traders to drive vehicles in connection with their business on the road. It can cover several different types of vehicles, including:

  • Customer’s vehicles
  • Vehicles the business owns
  • ‘In the trade’ vehicles – such as ones you have bought at auction or from members of the public

Need Road Risk Insurance?

For comprehensive Road Risk Insurance

What does Road Risk Insurance cover?

While Road Risk Insurance is primarily designed to allow motor traders to drive vehicles on public roads, it can cover other things, too:

Accidental Damage

This covers any accidental damage made to your customers’ vehicles.

Business Contents

Including your stock, computers, phones, and other business equipment.

Business premises cover

If you’re trading from premises – be it a forecourt, yard or compound – you’ll want to have them protected. If your premises were damaged or destroyed, business premises insurance would cover the cost of repairs or a rebuild.

Customers’ Vehicles

This covers customers’ vehicles that have been left in your care.

Demonstration Cover

Is an extension you can add to your motor trade insurance policy that allows prospective customers to test drive vehicles before they buy them. Cover through Jensten Motor Trade can be arranged for both accompanied and unaccompanied test drives.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

In-vehicle Equipment

This covers any equipment held in your vehicle up to £250.

Motor Legal Expenses

If you’re ever sued by a customer or a member of the public, the legal fees could be eye-watering, and motor legal expenses will cover these for you within agreed limits.

Public liability insurance

If a member of the public is injured or their property damaged while on your premises, you can be held liable. Public liability insurance will protect you financially should you be sued for damages.

Tools and machinery cover

Without your tools and machinery, you can’t operate. With tool thefts on the rise in the UK, you’d be wise to insure them. This covers tools and expensive pieces of machinery, such as diagnostic equipment. It can also provide Mac and Snap-On tools insurance, plus employees’ tools and toolbox options.

Why use Jensten


A team that understand the motor trade business


Jensten Motor Trade is rated 4.7/5 on Feefo


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Who needs Motor Trade Road Risk Insurance?

If you’re in the motor trade and need to drive your own and/or customer’s vehicles on the road, then you need a road risks insurance policy. Road Risk Insurance from Jensten Insurance Brokers is suitable for businesses such as:

  • Car dealers – both full-time and part-time
  • Mobile mechanics
  • Service and repair garages
  • Tyre fitters
  • Breakdown and recovery operators
  • Valeters and detailers
  • Motor traders under the age of 25
  • Classic car restorers
  • Body shops
  • SMART repairers
  • MOT service stations

How much does Road Risk Insurance cost?

As we’ll create your cover around you, that’s not an easy question to answer. What we can say is that your Road Risk Insurance quote will be based on factors such as:

  • The number of people you need cover for
  • The ages of the people you need cover for – people under 25 will cost you more to insure
  • The amount of cover required
  • Whether you choose third-party, third-party fire and theft, or comprehensive cover
  • The level of excess you choose to pay on the policy
  • The type of vehicles you want to be covered
  • Your trade
  • The postcode(s) in which you’re working
  • How long you’ve been trading
  • Your claims history
  • Whether you want to pay monthly or annually – annually will usually be cheaper

For tailored help, please contact Jensten Insurance Brokers today or call us on 0161 440 7772.

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Road Risk Insurance?

For comprehensive Road Risk Insurance

Road Risk Insurance

It’s important for motor traders to get the right insurance. To help you do that, here are our Road Risk Insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are helpful, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help.

The scope of a road risk policy is much more restrictive than a comprehensive Motor Trade Insurance policy. This means it usually won’t cover the following:

  • Other people’s vehicles – this purely for vehicles being worked on – so, customers’ vehicles – or ones sold in the trade
  • Employees’ vehicles
  • Public liability
  • Tools
  • Employers’ liability
  • Loss or damage caused by incorrect fuel
  • Vehicles being driven by a person not permitted by your Certificate of
  • Motor Insurance
  • Vehicles excluded from the policy, such as Japanese imports, classic or performance cars

If you’d like some help getting the Motor Trade Road Risk Insurance that’s right for you, or if you’d like a Road Risk Insurance quote, then please get in touch. Call Jensten Insurance Brokers team on 0161 440 7772 and our specialist Motor Trade Insurance team will be happy to help.

As with car insurance, there are three levels of road risk insurance cover:

  • Third-party only – covers injury or damage to third-party property or people but offers no protection for the driven vehicle
  • Third-party fire and theft – as above, but it also covers you for fire damage or theft to third-party-only cover
  • Comprehensive – offers full protection, including the cost of repairs, even if an accident was your fault

With comprehensive cover, most motor trade policies will only pay the trade value of a written-off vehicle, not the retail value. So, if you buy a car for the trade price of £10,000 and have it on sale for £15,000 if it is written off, you will only receive £10,000.

As well as flexible, quality cover, our Road Risk Insurance offers you the following benefits:

  • Service from quote to claim
  • Road risk-only options
  • You get to deal with a dedicated motor trade team that understands your insurance needs
  • Cover for social, domestic, and pleasure use
  • The option of comprehensive, third-party fire and theft or third party only cover

There are several ways you can cut the cost of your Road Risk Insurance quotes, including:

  • Avoid insuring drivers under the age of 25 if possible
  • Build up your no-claims bonus
  • Pay annually – paying monthly may be convenient, but paying annually will be cheaper
  • Raise your excess – the amount you pay in the event of a claim
  • Search and compare – or better still, ask an independent insurance broker such as Jensten Insurance Brokers to do the comparison around for you. With our privileged access to leading insurers’ policies and specialist knowledge, we’ll be able to save you time getting the cover you need

If you’re planning to drive your own or customers’ vehicles on the road, then yes.

No, you will need to check the terms of your policy. It will need to be in connection with the business if it is owned by the business or is in custody or control of your motor trade business. It may be more cost-effective to limit the covers to keep your premium down.

Please note: your policy may come with indemnity limits that exclude certain types of vehicles, such as classic, prestige cars or Japanese imports. If you’re unsure about what’s excluded or would like some help, please call us on 0161 440 7772 and we’ll be happy to give you some help.

While these policies may look the same, Road Risks only covers driving vehicles on the road. Traders Combined Insurance, on the other hand, can offer a much wider range of essential protections, such as premises, material damage cover and liabilities, amongst others.

Getting a quote is easy. You can call us on 0161 440 7772 and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need. We work with a panel of different insurance companies and can help you find the appropriate cover to suit your needs.

Yes, no matter how many hours you work, you’ll need road risks cover if you want to drive customers’ vehicles on public roads.