Retail and Shop Insurance | Jensten Insurance Brokers
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Retail and Shop Insurance

Protect your retail business with shop insurance arranged through Jensten Insurance Brokers. Let our team find you the cover you need.

What is Shop Insurance?

Shop insurance is the collective name given to insurance policies that protect all forms of retail businesses. A flexible, often packaged cover, it can protect a variety of things from premises to liabilities for a wide range of businesses and cover a wide range of organisations, including:

  • High street shops
  • Office-based businesses
  • Cafés
  • Non-standard retailers – such as shops in garages
  • Temporary businesses such as pop-up shops.

Need Retail and Shop Insurance?

For comprehensive Retail and Shop Insurance

What does Retail and Shop Insurance cover?

Buildings and Contents Insurance

If you own the premises on which you operate then buildings cover is essential and provides cover for an insured event. Contents coverage is also important and will help protect expensive equipment if a similar insured event occurs. Depending on your business we may also recommend separate stock insurance to cover damage to goods stored on-site for sale.

Buildings Contents and Stock

Buildings and contents insurance protects your business in the event of damage by a range of perils including fire, flood, theft, burst pipes or storms.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

Goods in Transit Insurance

Goods in transit (GIT) insurance offers protection if you or your customer’s property or goods are lost, damaged or stolen while they’re being moved from one place to another. For example, when they’re being transported from a factory or workshop to a retail outlet, business premises or private property.

Product Liability Insurance

If products you use or recommend cause damage or harm, you can face claims for compensation. Product liability insurance will cover any pay-outs should a claim prove successful.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance protects you if a member of the public suffers an injury or if any of their property is damaged because of your business. It can cover legal costs and any compensation claims, if your business is found to be at fault.

Stock Cover

Protects your stock of parts, equipment, and machinery against risks of damage, theft, and loss.

Why use Jensten


A dedicated team that understands specialist insurance


We are the trusted broker to businesses throughout the UK


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am – 5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Which businesses can Shop Insurance protect?

  • Supermarkets and food shops – including those that sell alcohol
  • Clothes shops
  • Coffee shops
  • Hardware stores
  • Travel agencies
  • Hobby and leisure shops – such as bicycle shops

Need Retail and Shop Insurance?

For comprehensive Retail and Shop Insurance

Retail and Shop Insurance

Retail insurance can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are our shop insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please call us on 0800 368 9018, and the team will be happy to help.

That will depend on your business. If you have any employees, you will need Employers’ Liability Insurance of at least £5m.

The type of insurance your shop needs will depend on what you’re selling, where it is and if you own the premises, and the services you offer. For most shop owners, Public Liability insurance is seen as essential, as is Stock Insurance, and if you have any employees, you will need Employers’ Liability Insurance.

There are several ways you can potentially get cheaper shop insurance. These include shopping around – or getting an insurance broker to do the shopping around for you, increasing your security and completing regular safety checks.

Yes, some policies will allow you to increase your cover limits by 15-25% for busy times of the year, such as Easter or Christmas.

That will depend on things like the size of your business, whether you have any employees, the value of your stock, your business’s postcode, and your claims history. For a personalised insurance quote, please call us on 0800 368 9018, and the team will be happy to help.

Getting a quote is easy. You can call us on 0800 368 9018, and the team will be happy to help you find the protection you need. We work with a panel of different insurance providers and can help find the appropriate cover to suit your individual requirements