Social Housing Insurance | Jensten Insurance Brokers
Feefo logo
Feefo logo

Social Housing Insurance

Protect your tenants and property with tailored insurance arranged through Jensten Insurance Brokers. Let our independent sector specialists find you the cover you need

What Is Social Housing Insurance?

Housing associations and other social landlords need to buy a range of different insurance to protect their tenants, properties and finances.

The specialist social housing insurance market is constantly evolving.  Social landlords are not the same as conventional property owners and you need to be confident that your broker not only understands your business but also the complexities of the market.

Insurance needs to meet the needs demands not only of the housing association itself but also leaseholders, funders and other partners.  It’s important that your broker understands this and designs your programme accordingly.

Jensten Insurance Brokers have over a decade of experience with social landlords and can offer advice to:

  • Housing associations
  • Housing co-operatives
  • ALMOs
  • Housing trusts
  • Local authority leasehold

Need Social Housing Insurance?

For comprehensive Social Housing Insurance

What does Social Housing Insurance cover?

Computers Insurance

Covers additional costs incurred in the form of increased cost of working and the cost of recompiling or restoring data following an insured accident as detailed above. Covers additional costs incurred following failure of electricity or telecommunications linked to the computer equipment.

Contract Works

This covers the value of the work being carried out prior to completion of the contract. It insures the works against accidental loss, damage, or destruction.

Criminal Activity Insurance

Also known as fidelity insurance, crime insurance covers your business for financial losses as a result of theft, fraud or dishonest activity.

Cyber Insurance

A cyber insurance policy helps pay for financial losses they may incur in the event of a cyberattack or data breach. It can cover costs related to the remediation process, such as paying for the investigation, crisis communication, legal services, and refunds to customers.

Directors’ and Officers’ Insurance

D&O insurance reimburses the defense costs incurred by board members, managers, and employees in defending against claims made by shareholders or third parties for alleged wrongdoing. D&O insurance also covers monetary damages, settlements, and awards resulting from such claims.

Employers’ Liability Insurance (EL insurance)

EL – is a legal requirement if you have any staff, full-time, part-time or contracted. EL insurance protects employers’ from compensation claims from their employees should a claim be made against them for loss or injury at work. Your policy must have a minimum of £5m cover, with £10m being the industry standard.

Employment Practices Liability

When a company’s workers claim their legal rights as employees have been violated, employment practices liability insurance can protect against resulting litigation.

Professional Indemnity Insurance

Commonly known as PI insurance, offers financial protection should a client sue you if you give poor advice or do something that results in financial or reputational losses.

Public Liability Insurance

Public liability insurance protects you if a member of the public suffers an injury or if any of their property is damaged because of your business. It can cover legal costs and any compensation claims, if your business is found to be at fault.

Why use Jensten


A team of brokers who can advise on your property insurance needs


We are the trusted broker to Property Professionals.


Tailored insurance to the needs of your business

Talk to the experts

Our team of UK-based insurance experts are here to help, Monday – Friday, 9am -5pm.


Contact us on our website whenever suits you

Call our insurance experts during office hours (calls are charged at a local rate)


Find answers to common insurance questions

Other Insurance cover Social Landlords need

Property stock
Tailored insurance to cover your rented, leasehold and any other property for which you are responsible as well as lost rent or the cost of alternative accommodation.  Sector-specific cover extensions and a range of excess options are important here.

Property owners liability
Cover for legal costs and compensation arising from your duty of care to third parties specifically as owners of property.

Contract works
Insurance for the physical elements of your planned maintenance and refurbishment programme including part finished buildings, materials and machinery.  Contingent or back-up cover is also available if you’re relying on your contractor’s insurance for new build projects.  A safer solution for new build however is to insure them yourself on an ‘owner controlled programme’ rather than rely on contractors.

Professional indemnity
Covers your legal liability to third parties arising from any advice or professional service you may provide.  This is particularly relevant on developments involving multiple parties and complex inter-party liabilities, requiring specialist policy drafting rather than an off-the-peg solution.  It is often a requirement of third party contracts.

Directors and Officers
Covers the personal liability senior managers and Board members acting on behalf of the association.  Whether your membership organisation provides this cover or not it is important to consider this carefully as your Board members needs to be sure they are properly protected.

Group personal accident
Many housing associations buy personal accident cover for their employees to provide a lump sum payment in the event of an accident that prevents them from working for an extended period.

Spcecialist niche covers

Additional specialist covers are also available such as:

  • Home Contents Insurance for tenants
  • Environmental Liability
  • Legal Indemnity
  • Owner-controlled Development Programmes

For some tailored insurance help, please contact the Jensten Motor Trade team today or call them on 0208 298 2100.

Need Social Housing Insurance?

For comprehensive Social Housing Insurance

Social Housing Insurance

Insurance for Social Housing can be a complex area of cover, so to help you get the protection you need, here are our Social Housing Insurance frequently asked questions. We hope they are of use, but if you’d like some independent advice, please get in touch and the team will be happy to help. 

As a broker rather than an insurance company we aren’t restricted by whatever limitations a particular insurer wants to impose.  We can negotiate tailored cover with a range of different companies to ensure the best outcome.

We work with the whole market rather than a limited panel of preferred insurers.  This way we don’t restrict ours or our clients’ options.

Yes, we have a detailed understanding of public procurement and will be happy to help.

Whilst insurers are responsible for handling claims, we have an expert in-house claims team that will help to ensure claims are dealt with correctly and promptly.

Detailed, unambiguous information is absolutely essential if you are to get the best out of the insurance market.  Each housing association is different and we will help you gather all of the data insurers need well in advance renewal or tender.